Last week the results of a benchmark ‘Artificial Light at Night’ survey by Pendoley Environmental were presented to Council.
Commissioned by the Sunshine Coast Council and Moreton Bay Regional Council, the survey used Sky42™ technology to quantify light pollution on 12 marine turtle nesting beaches between South Bribie Island and Coolum in Queensland.
Drag the slider left or right to see how a raw image is processed to quantify light
WHAT IS LIGHT POLLUTION ANYWAY?
The light pollution caused by Artificial Light at Night (ALAN) comes from parking lots, street lights, government and commercial buildings, sporting facilities, suburban housing, cities etc. and is an emerging global threat to the environment, wildlife and human health.
Light pollution from ALAN can deter adult turtles from nesting and prevent hatchlings from reaching the ocean.
WHAT DID THE SURVEY ACHIEVE?
Importantly, the survey provided a ‘benchmark’ value of night sky brightness for comparison with future surveys and also:
• Identified all sources of visible light
• Quantified the brightest and dimmest beaches
• Detailed specific, problematic lighting fixtures
• Quantified emission from bright white LED vs amber LED and traditional incandescent bulbs
• Made recommendations for reducing light that reaches the nesting beach with a few small changes
WHAT IS ALL THAT INFORMATION ABOUT LIGHT USED FOR?
The presentation was well received by both Councils, providing invaluable information to:
• Support strategic planning decisions,
• Monitor trends and make comparisons between sites and future surveys
• Work towards targets within the Urban Lighting Master Plan (ULMP)
• Assess development proposals
• Facilitate useful mitigation of current and future light emissions, particularly in the vicinity of marine turtle nesting habitat
Pleased with the outcome of the survey, Dr Pendoley said
"These results allow us to understand the cumulative effects of light on adult turtle nesting and hatchling sea-finding behavior and particularly, the impact of LED lighting on overall sky glow."
The full report will be publicly available for download here in the near future. Don't forget to check!
WILL A LIGHT ASSESSMENT HELP YOU REACH YOUR GOALS?
Pendoley Environmental offers the highest standard of technical expertise and most advanced technological solutions currently available in the field of artificial light monitoring. If you would like to discuss your options for monitoring, measuring and managing your artificial light emissions, contact Adam Mitchell or Kellie Pendoley today.